Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Choosing a Career: Always Settle for Long Term Gains!

Choosing a career is always a dicey decision for teenagers. I can vividly recall the day when my English teacher popped the big question.

"What you want to be or do in your life, Ankit?", she asked.

While everyone else in my class had mapped out their career path till then, I was at my best, clueless! Trust me, this question was difficult than most of the Viva voce questions which I had failed to answer in external examinations.

As she waited for her answer, I, in response, continued to stare at her, thinking the name of any random course which I could take to bypass this awkward moment.

"I haven't decided yet, ma'am", came the reply from my end. After all, I strongly believed in 'Honesty is the best Policy'.

My English teacher was shocked. No, she was shell-shocked. And within a matter of few seconds, I stood corrected - 'Honesty isn't always the best policy always'.

What followed next was 10 minutes of Emotional Attyachar, where she voiced her concern over my answer and my laidback attitude. The final nail in the coffin was - I never expected this from you. Cliched, but effective. Needless to say, the rest of the day was forgettable.

But the question did left me thinking.

Teenage is the 'age of disintegration'. In this age, guys and girls try to emulate seniors and in process start leading a compromised life. Children hailing from middle class families are the best examples of it. Instead of regular courses, they opt for distance learning courses and start working. Of course, not a wrong thing to do especially when you are one of those who 'genuinely want to support family financially' and not just use this phrase in your introductory speech in a job interview. But unfortunately, they end up losing out on those finishing touches which could have shaped their career in better way.

I believe, in Delhi-NCR region, 'self-sufficiency' or 'being independent' is an overhyped emotion. Unlike youngsters in other parts of country, students here just out of school, start earning.

Recently, about a week back, one of my friends called me up to help her out. She was a depressed soul who had dropped a year and still failed to clear the prestigious PMT examinations. Of course, she was feeling miserable. The least I could do for her, was to give a shoulder to cry on. However, what followed next surprised me a bit.

"I am thinking I should get myself a job. My family is already feeling the pinch of sky-rocketing coaching fees. And I can't be a burden on them anymore. I'll earn, study and appear for exams next year again. What do you think?"

I could just look at her and nod my head in approval. Of course, this wasn't the right thing to do. Knowing the brilliant student she is, settling for second best option is nothing, but total waste of her talent.
I did this. We all do this. We always settle for the second best option in our life even when the finest option is up for grabs. I might sound very mature here but the truth is - our parents expect us to study, because academic success in India means plethora of opportunities, a good life, society recognition and not to forget, money. Loads of money.

My advice to all the youngsters facing such issues - Don't worry about your parents' money. They are earning it for you. Take your chances. Don't chase short term gains. Starting early in your life is good but not at the cost of your parents' dreams. Who knows, an extended run with your hardwork and slight luck can catapult to the pinnacle in no time.

As far as my friend is concerned, she took my advice and is now preparing for another entrance exams.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm.... ur write-up says.. u were born a writer. I agree, writing may not promise loads of money.. but it is rewarding when u see such masterpieces coming out of u and attracting readers, or rather admirers

    ReplyDelete